Check out these awesome travel tips for you teeth from Mouth Healthy! Make Time for a Checkup Even when you’re dreaming about vacation, there’s no place like home–especially a dental home base. “Prevention isn’t only taking care of your teeth,” Dr. Messina says. “It’s establishing a relationship with a dentist.” If you can, schedule your next regular visit before your trip. “Have a thorough exam so we can spot any problems before they happen,” Dr. Messina says. You’ll have peace of mind, and your dentist will have the most up-to-date information on your teeth, including x-rays. In Case of Emergency… Have your dentist’s contact info handy in your cell phone or keep a business card in your wallet. “If you think you need to talk to somebody, you probably do,” Dr. Messina says. In fact, more dental emergencies can be resolved over the phone than you might think (especially if you keep up regular visits). “As a patient, it’s hard to know the diffe
Backpack? Check. Booster shots? Check. Teeth cleaning? Check! Regular dental visits are important year-round, but a back-to-school checkup is key in fighting the most common chronic disease found in school-age children: cavities. In fact, dental disease causes children to miss more than 51 million school hours each year. Prevention and early detection can help avoid pain, trouble eating, difficulty speaking and school absences. “When people are beginning to do their pediatrician checks to make sure their kids are school-ready, make sure teeth are part of it,” says pediatric dentist and American Dental Association spokesperson Dr. Mary Hayes. Plan Ahead Between cookouts, camping trips and everything else on your family’s summer bucket list, it’s easy for school to sneak up on you. Unfortunately, many parents may not think about making that appointment until August, which Dr. Hayes says is one of her busiest times. “The rush is pretty intense,” she says. Give yourse
Some schools require a back-to-school exam. If your school doesn’t, it’s still a good time of year to schedule one of your child’s regular visits. “We can help spot and take care of any issues so your child doesn’t have to miss class once school starts,” says ADA pediatric dentist Dr. Mary Hayes. “It’s also a great time to help get back on track if some of your child’s dental habits fell away during summer, when normal routines can go out the window and there are a lot more treats around.”Here are a few questions to ask at your child’s appointment: How Is My Child’s Overall Dental Health? The dentist will be looking at the big picture of your child’s mouth, including teeth and gums. “We will check to make sure teeth are lining up correctly, your child’s bite is in good shape and to keep an eye out for any [orthodontic] issues that may show up later,” Dr. Hayes says. “We’re also making sure baby teeth are going to the Tooth Fairy like they should.
People may be apprehensive about visiting a dentist but most of them have to go with it in order to resolve the problems with their teeth and gums. There is no specific age for requiring dental care, however. From infants to school going children, teenagers and adults, every age group is plagued with dental worries at some point of their lives. This necessitates the intervention of a dental professional with children having misaligned teeth often having to wear special braces and braces for teeth in El Paso.
An ordinary dentist may not do at times though with the patient being referred to an orthodontist in Anthony and El Paso TX. The professional is sure to be better equipped to handle all sort of dental and gum related issues including but not limited to misalignment of teeth, straightening of the jaw and improving the smile. It is not absolutely essential to visit an orthodontist when the pain becomes too intense to handle, however. The concerned professional can offer superior preventive tips as well.
Crowding of teeth and spaced out teeth often require professional care by an orthodontist that enables the patient to speak and chew correctly after proper treatment. Loss of teeth and decay of gums can be prevented by seeking timely orthodontic care too. It is best to understand the necessity of visiting a professional instead of postponing treatment for years that will not only end up distorting the facial features but will also ensure a healthy and trouble free life.
Unfortunately, myths abound about orthodontic care. It is therefore necessary to check the facts before deciding to spend a good amount of money on dental care.
Truth About Braces
- Cost of Braces– Visiting an orthodontist may be a trifle more expensive than going to the local dentist but the braces prescribed by the professional will do more than improve the appearance of the face. The expense is justified as there are multiple types of braces available today. The professional will check the condition of the teeth along with that of the gums and the jaw bones before asking the patient to opt for a particular type of braces.
- Teeth Straightening– There is no single answer to the question of ‘how long will the treatment take to show results.’ A dental pro will inspect the teeth closely and monitor the progress regularly in order to check the response to a particular form of treatment. While serious issues may take a long time to be corrected totally, minor problems such as slightly crooked teeth is sure to be corrected within a few months with the aid of braces.
The braces are not meant to enhance the appearance of a person though. It happens to be a serious aid that not only improves one’s smile but also goes a long way in ensuring oral health by destroying bacteria build up within the gaps and crannies in between the teeth. Any kind of pain in the jaw will also be addressed perfectly via the braces while normal activities such as chewing, speaking and biting get to be rectified totally.
Having a young child in the family is definitely joyous. However, there are many anxieties to cope with too as the infant begins to grow slowly but surely with the beautiful toothless smile turning into an assured one sporting tiny baby teeth that begin sprouting one by one. Remaining oblivious to the baby teeth and hoping that they do not matter is a definite mistake though. Helping the child with the development of primary teeth by soothing the infant gently goes a long way in dispelling the fear and anxiety associated with tooth problems that are sure to occur as the young individual progresses through life.
It is important to take the child to a dentist in El Paso and Fort Bliss right after the first primary tooth appears. Although the child might be too young to explain the problems to the professional and the parents overtly eager for the wellbeing of their offspring, the pediatric dentist in Socorro and El Paso will be able to check the gums and jaw line along with the new teeth and signs of others about to make their appearance. The problems as well as the progress with teeth development will be discussed closely by the dentist who is likely to suggest a number of tips for taking proper dental care including oral hygiene.
General Dentist v/s Pediatric Dentist
While the same dentist is equipped to handle all dental problems be it an adult or a child, a pediatric dentist is highly preferred when it comes to caring for the oral health of an infant, toddler or school going child. Sure, every dentist would be knowledgeable about how to treat the issues related to primary teeth yet the ones with the required training for dealing with children specific dental issues can make a difference to the concerned child’s health.
Furthermore, a dentist who also happens to be trained as a pediatrician is likely to have the required expertise for treating children with special needs as well. Making them respond to the questions and getting them to open the jaw willfully is an onerous task that a general dentist is not qualified to handle.
A kid friendly environment becomes indispensible for treating a child and one seldom finds it in a general dentist’s chamber or a dental clinic that is focused on treating adults predominantly. The kids are, therefore, scared of being pushed into an alien atmosphere in the midst of grim adults who do not share the inquisitiveness and friendliness of a young child.
Sure, the examination and treatment would follow a similar line but the staff would differ in their treatment of the patients often making the mistake of assuming that the young child would behave as an adult. A pediatric dentist’s personnel would be experts in managing children right from infancy to the adolescent stage thereby making it easier for the dentist to proceed in the right manner.
Not everyone welcomes braces in their life. In spite of the odds, braces are one of most widespread dental procedures that come with a number of benefits. People have a notion that braces straighten out teeth and this is absolutely true. Besides, braces have other benefits too. Smile big with the following amazing benefits of braces.
- Prevent gum diseases– Braces work incredibly to prevent gum diseases that can literally spell out trouble for mouth if not properly taken care of. Luckily, braces work to space teeth out perfectly so it becomes easy to brush and floss in between the teeth. Also, unless the teeth are straightened using braces, foods are likely to lodge between teeth while causing a number of serious gum diseases.
- Prevent teeth decay– This is another big advantage of wearing braces. Tooth decay takes place due to improper cleaning of teeth. Improper cleaning leads to accumulation of bacteria in the petite crevices resulting in acid built up which eventually causes decaying of teeth enamel.
- Prevent teeth cavities– If diagnosed early, cavities are very much treatable. But if they are left untreated, they may worsen and require costly treatment. Braces in El Paso and Socorro TX can stop such a scenario to take place. Braces space out teeth so they can be cleaned better. It is always important to get into the small spaces between teeth to maintain health and ensure longer life.
- Help in digestion– Misaligned teeth can’t chew food properly and thus it often winds up in indigestion. And stomach can’t digest large chunks of food. Rather it has easy time digesting tiny bits of food. If teeth are not straightened, this problem always happens.
- Prevent getting damaged or injured– No one wants cracked or broken teeth. Protruding upper teeth is very common outcome of accidents, especially related to events like car crashes, sports and accidental failing. Braces are used for straightening teeth. Besides, they act as a guard to safeguard teeth during an accident.
- Prevent bone erosion– Bone loss is another unwanted outcome of misaligned teeth that takes place as bacteria starts eating away at bones. But this hardly happens with braces that are used to correct misalign teeth.
- Enhance self-esteem– Braces are important for maintaining health of teeth. At the same time, it helps boosting one’s self-esteem by improving that person’s look and appearance. People with misaligned teeth often feel embarrassed to interact with people and socialize. Their self-esteem gets down. But with braces, they regain a confident and cute smile that in long run helps regaining self-esteem. They feel motivated.
- Eliminate bad bite– If the teeth don’t fit together well, they can cause bad bite which in turn makes the jaws tired. But braces realign both upper and lower parts of the mouth and eliminate the chance of bad bite.
These are the most common benefits of dental braces. It’s good to consult a local orthodontist in El Paso and Anthony TX if there’s a requirement for wearing braces.
A child brings joy to the family. Yet being a parent is not always easy as it comes with its share of worries. However, most parents tend to ignore complaints from a fussy child who tends to avoid food. Sadly, it might not be the child shunning unappetizing food though. The root cause might indicate something seriously wrong with the teeth and gums with tell-tale indications of dental infection being apparent.
The parents would not want their children to suffer needlessly hence taking them to visit the best pediatric dentist in Socorro and Sunland Park TX would help to amend matters. It would also be helpful to consult with a reputed professional in order understand the seriousness of tooth infections. The ‘American Academy of Pediatric Dentists’ reveals that more than 60% of children in the USA have cavities in their teeth that may result in tooth abscesses and total decay if left untreated. It is definitely a cause for concern and taking the child to the top dentist in El Paso and Fort Bliss for treating all teeth problems is likely to help the child get rid of the excruciating pain at long last.
A parents need to be observant of their child’s dental health measures too. Looking into the open mouth and insisting on regular brushing and flossing is sure to prevent dental issues in the future. It also makes sense to visit the local dentist with the child in tow regularly so that all dental problems can be nipped in the bud.
Warning signals of tooth infection
- Toothache– If the child cries and complains of tooth aches constantly then it is definitely time to visit the dentist. Chronic tooth ache is indicative of tooth decay and the gnawing or searing pain may make the child scared off food for life. It needs prompt intervention by a professional.
- Color – Teeth, especially the primary teeth are usually white in color and have often been likened to pearls. However, the child is in for trouble when one or more of the teeth become darker in color signaling the onset of infection and tooth decay.
- Sensitivity – The teeth become sensitive to hot and cold foods presently and the child becomes reluctant to bite or chew when a particular tooth or multiple of them are infected.
- Swollen Gums – Healthy gums should be naturally pink with the teeth white and even. Unfortunately, many parents find their kids sporting a red and inflamed gum over one or several of their teeth periodically. This is a no-brainer as it happens to be a surefire sign of tooth infection. It is best to get it treated ASAP or else the infection will spread slowly but surely affecting the neck and the jaw as well.
While a dentist employs a number of equipment and takes X-Rays of the teeth and gum in order to diagnose the condition properly before proceeding with the treatment, it is advisable to follow the age old adage of ‘prevention is better than cure’ for the well being of a child.